The Friend of a Friend Art Dinner Series welcomes a multidisciplinary group of creatives to gather amongst peers and immersed in art. Designed to be an intimate experience where visual and culinary arts come together, the intention is that of exchange and expansion. Each event kicks off the exhibition of a local artist, hosted in an atypical gallery space. The accompanying culinary program is a nod to the creative output and showcase of the culinary talent in Hamilton.
For the inaugural dinner, we invite you to gather and experience the work of Shea Chang and Gil MacNutt. The dinner will be a preview event for Shea Chang's latest art installation, Future-Oriented Jelly Technologies, which brings together drawing, painting, and printmaking through large-scale wheat paste murals and mesmerizing back-lit imagery. Meditating on themes of translation and transformation, the ephemera and motifs of Chang’s unique visual vocabulary will orient the space towards pluralistic ways of seeing and being. Shea Chang’s visual art practice has manifested through Canadian and international arenas, and she currently teaches as an Assistant Professor of Illustration in the Faculty of Design at OCAD University, living and working from her studio in Hamilton’s North End.
The dinner format will be a 5-course sit down meal, showcasing small plates, and the talent of local chef Gil MacNutt. Hailing from the picturesque New Brunswick, Gil MacNutt is a seasoned chef with over 15 years of culinary expertise, He got his start working in esteemed east coast restaurants in Halifax and Lunenburg, before moving to Montreal where he later made a name for himself as chef and co-owner of two acclaimed restaurants, Maïs and Maison Social. Today, Gil has embarked on a new journey in Hamilton, Ontario, where he now enjoys cooking for select events, where he is able to craft creative menus, focus on the artistry of cuisine and invite people to break bread together in more intimate settings.
- Date - November 12, 2023
- Time: 6-10pm
- Where: Monday Press Studios - 288 James St. N
- Bring your own booze - in the spirit of dining at a friends house. A welcoming cocktail/mocktail will be provided.
- Course 1: Amuse bouche/small bite - to be picked up and carried around while settling in to the space
- Bread course: Sourdough with beurre de mer
- Course 2: Smoked Celeriac/Tonnato
- Course 3: Parsnips/w raspberry & chipotle
- Course 4: Leek/pork/shrimp w/ chamomile vinegar and toasted chili
- Course 5: Wildflower Honey joconde cake with amarena cherries and bee pollen
*Vegetarian/Vegan options available